The houses (Batei Mahseh) encompassing the paved square were constructed between 1860 and 1890 by an association of Jews from Holland and Germany.
Built in 1874, the design of the original Sephardi Talmud Torah is characteristic of that period: a courtyard enclosed by a series of rooms for study, living accommodations and service rooms. The center's new quarters were constructed opposite. approximately 100 two-room apartments were allocated to poor families for a period of three years free of charge or at a low rental fee.
Galed street leads to an archway, the lintel of which is engraved with: "Shelter for the poor on Mount Zion, may it be built and reestablished". The
To the west of the square is the Rothschild House, a two-story building with arches. It was built in 1871 with funds provided by Baron Wolf Rothschild of Frankfurt to house poor families, and the Rotchshiled family coat of arms is still at the top of the building. Today it houses the offices of the Jewish Quarter Development Company.